Tapas & Vino in Redondo Beach hosted a Wine Tasting dinner featuring Angove Family Wines this past April 18. To further augment this delightful evening, winemaker Richard Angove was on hand to educate us about his wonderful wines. Richard is a fifth generation winemaker and hails from South Australia.
Richard began working in the family business as a small child. At University he studied business and marketing followed by studying for a post graduate diploma in winemaking at Adelaide University.
Richard left home to gain experience working at Brokenwood in the Hunter Valley, Domaine Carneros in Napa Valley, Bodega Borsao in Spain and Jackson Triggs in Canada. Returning to the family business in 2008, Richard continues to work in marketing.
The delightful pairing dinner was in five courses. We started with Ahi Tuna on a crispy wonton topped with crème fraiche and caviar paired with an Angove Sparkling Moscato. The second course was a Beet Salad with roasted red and golden beets, sun dried Bing cherries, goat cheese, arugula, candied walnuts and sherry vinaigrette paired with Angove Grenache Rose. Both of these lighter pairings were fantastic and the wines were perfect pairing selections to accompany the food.
For the more substantial courses, we started the third course with a Seared Scallop on a bed of parsnip puree topped with a vanilla infused saffron sauce paired with Angove Viognier. The fourth course was Duck Breast on a bed of Moroccan couscous with currants, almonds, mint and a port and fig glaze paired with an Angove Shiraz-Viognier Blend. I was so impressed with this particular wine I now have a case of it at home!
The fifth course was Rack of Lamb served with roasted garlic eggplant caponata and topped with Shiraz paired with Angove McLaren Vale Shiraz. I am very partial to Australian wine in general and this wine was delish.
All in all we had a great evening and learned a lot from Richard about wine. Thank you to our hosts from Trinchero Family Estates and Young’s Market Company, especially Stacey Noble who invited me along to cover the event. For those of you that live in the Redondo Beach area, I highly recommend that you drop by Tapas & Vino and find out when their next tasting dinner will be. If this tasting dinner was any indication, I’m sure you will enjoy yourself immensely!
Sign up for CRAVING COCKTAILS? NEWSLETTER
- Craving cocktails?™ Ray’s & Stark Bar at LACMA showcases art from the kitchen! May 6, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at FIG Santa Monica where everything is half off! April 26, 2012
- Craving Cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Brick + Mortar Santa Monica April 16, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Yappy hour at M Street Kitchen is perfect for you and your pooch! April 13, 2012
- Craving Cocktails?™ the WSWA Convention in Las Vegas was stellar! April 3, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ The Wine Cellar at the Rio Las Vegas is a jackpot! April 2, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Center Cut Steakhouse, Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas April 1, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Next Door by Josie in Santa Monica March 29, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at The Santa Monica Daily Grill March 15, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Pink Taco Century City March 12, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Sushi Roku Santa Monica March 8, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Cameo Bar, Viceroy Hotel Santa Monica February 29, 2012
- Craving Cocktails? The Beverly Hills Wine Festival Rocked! by Brittney Rae February 26, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at CHAYA Venice February 22, 2012
- Craving cocktails?™ Happy Hour at Hostaria del Piccolo in Santa Monica February 16, 2012